26 January 2017
1. Based on a population of 4,705,400 as at October 2016. Source: Statistics NZ.
2. Electronic credits and direct debits exclude transactions between two customers of the same bank. Including these transactions would make the numbers higher.
3. In the 12 months to October 2016, New Zealanders wrote 30.47 million cheques.
4. Based on 1,575.3 million debit and credit card transactions from Nov 2015 to Oct 2016 compared to 428 million total direct debits, bill payments, automatic payments and direct credits cleared through the Settlement Before Interchange (SBI) system for the same period. Note that the SBI system excludes payments between two customers at the same bank (called on-us transactions), whereas card payments between a cardholder and a merchant who use the same bank are included. Including on-us transactions would decrease the ratio further.
5. Based on $78.8 billion total credit and debit card value from Nov 2015 to Oct 2016 compared to $993 billion total direct debits, bill payments, automatic payments and direct credits cleared through the SBI system for the same period. Including on-us transactions would increase the ratio further.
6. Combined volume of direct debits, bill payments, automatic payments and direct credits cleared through the SBI system in 12 months from Nov 2015 to Oct 2016 totalled 428 million transactions. This was 5.49% higher than 12 months prior (Nov 2014 to Oct 2015), which totalled 405.7 million. Data source: Payments NZ.
7. High value customer-to-customer payments are for either major transactions such as house purchases, large corporate transactions, or for the domestic leg of a cross-border foreign currency transaction.
8. The NZClear system is a wholesale payment system for settling securities, equities and cash positions.
9. Direct debits, bill payments, automatic payments and direct credits.
10. Uses the statistics from the above 2016 vs 2010 per head of population analysis, excluding ATM withdrawals.
11. Based on total population of 4,457,700 in Oct 2013 and 4,705,400 in Oct 2016. Population source: Statistics NZ.